Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What I'm loving Wednesday


Okay so here it is, I love themes. Like LOVE them, but I'm not good at them. What's that you didn't know you could suck at themes? Well you can and I do. I'm just not good at preparing, like crafting a month ahead, or planning an outfit weeks ahead of time, and I'm SO not very good at being consistent. Soooo with that said, it's almost comical that I'm jumping on the ol' blogging by themes idea. I won't be doing this for every day of the week, and surely I can't promise I will be doing this every wednesday but I am going to give it a shot, because there is so much I am loving these days; and I feel as though I need to share in case anyone is interested, and document it because I'm sure I'll love reading about my cauliflower pizza, or my homemade deodrant when I'm 90.
So without further ado... Here's what I am loooooooving.....
Oh and MAJOR disclaimer... because blogging unoriginality is all the craze these days. These ideas, recipes, etc are not mine, unfortunately I'm not super creative at coming up with recipes etc from scratch. Although I must say, it's super hard to tell who is original these days because of pinterst, blogs,etc. My opinion...who cares?!?! I mean I totally think people should be acknowledged for their creativity, 150%, but I don't care if someone's cookie recipe is thier own, or from some pin on their pinboard.... if it's good, I have no problem giving them credit. Basically I'm easily impressed, so the fact that you can even bake knocks my socks off.
So with that said, please know I got most of these ideas/recipes from some of my favorite blogs and pinterest. I don't remember the original info for every single idea because let's face it I pinterest alot AND have mommy brain so I'm doing the best I can with my works cited.
------------------------------------------------------------
CAULIFLOWER PIZZA
Seriously it's TDF. I can say with 100% honesty that I would be happy never eating regular pizza ever again after eating this. It's a delish and genius way to get a TON of veggies in one meal.
I got the "crust" recipe from a blog called Mom what's for dinner and it's called Cauliflower Cheesy Bread. As far as the rest of it, I kind of just made it how I saw fit. Sauce, veggies, cheese. Viola!

Oh and Nuggy loves love loves it. So mom friends try this out if you haven't already.




Oh and this AFTER pic obviously does NOT do it justice, but we were so excited to dig in we forgot to take a pic of it all pretty in the pan. 


POM POM'S
Really these don't need an explanation. They are my dessert crack. They are super addicting and super healthy. I pray when I become pregnant again, these become or should I say stay my obsession. If they become one of the millions of things I have aversions to while pregnant, I will CRY!  

REUTERI
Probiotics for the Livy babe.
True story, this stuff should be reccommended by every Dr. for every little one (IMHO)
This stuff helps to keep the little's regular, and TOTALLY helps with immunity.
I've been giving this to Nuggy, in a bottle with breast milk, formula, or now in her sippy cup with water, since she was just a couple months old, and she has only been constipated maybe 4 times, not to mention I swear up and down it has helped keep Liv from catching all the crap that has gone around the past 2 years.

COCONUT OIL
This should be an entirely seperate blog post because this stuff is pretty much gold. Like aside from gold, this is the greatest thing to come from our sweet earth.
While I know there are 5,729 uses for coconut oil I only want to tell you about those I am actually currently using.
As of right now I am soaking my head of hair in this stuff, and I seriously wish I could write a novel on my love for it.
 I am using, or have used Coconut oil in the following ways.
Lip balm, hair conditioner, Shampoo (see below), face wash (great for acne,scarring etc), moisturizer, lotion for myself and Nuggy, in my tea, in most of my food (major metabolism booster), as a healing agent for cuts, and for cracked heels. Honestly I couldn't even begin to spout off the millions of benefits from this stuff, or explain as well as others can, all the different elements of coconut oil that somehow make it moisturizing, antibacterializing, healing, metabolism boosting, etc, but let me tell you it's magic, and you should definitely go out and get yourself a jar! Oh and everyone says make sure to get the organic, cold pressed coconut oil, and it is pretty pricey at most stores, but not good ol Trader J's (I'm also obsessed with that place). It's $5.99 for a pint of organic, cold pressed coco oil.
Oh and I found out a ton of great ideas for CO on the wellness mama, crunchy betty, and love chugs blogs, to name a few.

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
I first heard about this on Love Chugs, and then started reading all about this on Pinterest and good ol google. In short it too is pretty amazing, but not quite as delish.
I 've started taking 2 tbsp of it with water in the morning, along with a glass of warm water and lemon. I've read it cleanses your body, and does about 20 other beneficial things for your body.
I also spray it on my hair as a detangler. It helps keep your hair shiny and moisturized. The smell isn't the best but I have another spray leave in conditioner that helps mellow out the smell, and the shine/softness you hair has after using it makes up for the smell.

Lip Scrub
It's simple sally...brown sugar, or reg sugar, olive oil, and honey.
Need I say more.
Ha! I just saw this pic, and laughed that I said, "Need I say more?!" Ummm yes it looks gross, but I promise its so yummy and wonderful, and moisturizing for your lips.



HOMEMADE DEODRANT
I'm totally not even kidding you with this business. Long long story short, I have a hate hate relationship with deodrant. Not only does it, it being non organic stuff, have disgusting cancer causing ingredients but I swear it doesn't work...for like 99% of people. Most people still either have pit stains from sweating, OR, armpits that smell like (insert deodrant name here) and B.O. Once I found out how unhealthy deodrant can be, I set out to find the perfect organic one, and to no avail, I couldn't find it. I'm convinced it doesn't exist. So I stumbled upon one of my all time fave blogs, and saw a link to another great blog that sadly I can't remember the name of, and there I saw the recipe for Homemade coconut cinnamon deodrant!!!!  It is aaaaaaaaamazing!!!!! and it works!!!!
The blog lady said her and her hubs have been using this stuff for over a year and swear by it.
For the past 8 months or so I have made D smell my armpits nothing short of 400 times to prove that my latest and greatest deodrant does in fact NOT work (lucky man I know). He has vouched for me, and even stated that he too has smelled the deodrant/bo smell on sooo many people and said that this homemade deo is the first one where at the end of the day it still smells good. Very mild, but good!
It's super easy. Cornstarch, arrowroot, baking soda, coco oil, and cinnamon( which I decided to add for the heck of it) Oh and I just jumped over to google and found the name of the blog. It's from the prarie homestead.
Oh and I would go back and add a link to all of these blogs, but this is taking way longer than I expected and I am running on like 4 hours of sleep so I must be quick. I figure you can google it too :)

HOMEMADE COCONUT SHAMPOO
I just made it, so I can't really say much other than I'm sooooo excited to see how it works on my hair after a few washes. I am obsessed with the thought of having predominately homemade, safe, healthy products around our house. Not just because they are healthy...and SUPER cheap in the long run, but because for me it just seems to make my life feel much simpler. Often time so many of these ingredients for homemade products overlap eachother, so if I have the ingedients to make a body wash, I can also probably make a lotion, a shampoo, a lip balm, and who knows what else. See simple! I have a basement full of items...next on the list... Laundry detergent, fabric softner, and cleaning products.
Seriously the 10 year ago me wouldn't recognize the today me. It's craaazy how much this one time major product/name brand junkie now LOVES the idea of homemade, natural, inexpensive, everything.
I swear I was born in the wrong generation. I mean I find more joy in making homemade shampoo, and listening to Ella Fitzgerald Radio on Pandora than I ever thought I would!

GRAPESEED OIL
We use this after the bath/shower instead of lotion. Just pat dry your skin and lather it on.
It moisturizes SO much better than lotion, and has really helped keep Liv's baby skin the softest ever!

THESE TWO
I mean what else can I say. I love them, every hour of every day. They are the reasons why I have traveled down this new path of self discovery. They inspire me to challenge myself, and grow, and change. Before them, I had no desire to step foot in a kitchen, let alone venture into the world of homemade deodrants. I love the new, kind of weird sides of the woman/mom/wife I am becoming and I very much have these two to thank. D and Nuggy thank you for existing, and Lord thank you for wanting them to exist in MY life.



















3 comments:

  1. I jumped on to post a comment about how much I'm loving some of these very same things, hot cup of water and coconut oil sitting next to the keyboard, excited to tell you that while you were letting your locks bathe in the stuff last night, I WAS TOO...and as I sipped and typed I began to feel my throat respond in a very unpleasant way, remembered what happened the last few times as well, and realized I think I might be allergic to this stuff!
    Insert wailing and gnashing of teeth.
    Not really.
    Just kinda.
    I was SO totally excited to try the deodorant...maybe I'll still be able to?
    Uhg, wishing I had that pan of pizza to drown my sorrows in.
    Wink.
    I'm thankful you are able to make moments to blog! However often you're able to, we're grateful for it! :) Praying your fam is getting some good rest today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed Heddie!! How you do you find time to make all these things? I definately and envious of your newfound hobby-- good work girl! I think I will start with the Califlower pizza- looks great! Where do you get most of your receipes? I also love coconut oil, but have mainly only used it to cook- but I will explore further.

    Cheers my friend!
    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete