Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Two ears one mouth


So this one time, not too long ago I was talking to Derek about who knows what. I was rambling on, as I sometimes always do, and he looked at me with this huge smile and said, "Honey have you ever thought about why God gave us two ears and one mouth?" I being the genius that I am said, "um yes Derek..." in a rude sarcastic tone, "it's to remind us to listen twice as much as we talk." To which he said, again with a huge smile on his face, "honey why don't you take that literally!" And the word 'why' in that sentence wasn't a question, it was a not so gentle suggestion.

So here I am tonight, having so much to say in response to your comments, IG's, and texts, and also just because the whole not being on facebook thing makes me want to write like crazy! But I thought it be best to heed husbands advice and spend the next couple hours listening to what God's probably been trying to tell me, while I've been talking most of the day :)

However before I go I do have one small thing to post, well I guess in terms of characters on a page it will be small, but in fact the subject matter is on the single biggest thing in my life

Today a sweet IG friend saw my post and inquired about my relationship with God, or not so much my relationship, but how one goes about starting up a relationship with God. Here's a bit of what I said to her, just to give insight into why I am posting this...

Can I just tell you that I had to re-read your comment a few times… I had to re-read it for two reasons… 1. I find the courage, honesty, and vulnerability of you asking that like honestly one of the most beautiful things EVER!!! 1000% honesty, I smiled SO big and imagine God did too, at the idea that you even asked that question. Could you imagine if we all approached things we were unsure of in the same manner you just did! I mean how flippin cool would that be??!?! Before I move to point #2 I just have to tell you thank you. By you writing what you did, I was inspired, completely, totally, inspired! #2 I had to re-read your post because if I can be honest and transparent, I feel totally intimidated to answer that question, I feel completely unqualified to answer that in fear I may say something wrong or even worse that I might say something stupid!! Ha! In fact I think that’s part of what Christians struggle with. I think the enemy keeps us wanting to judge, and correct other believers to prevent us from sharing our truths, our very unique and personal walk with God. I’m determined to do my part to keep that from happening so I will answer your question on my blog, to the best of my ability. I would write it here, but I may get kicked off of instagram for exceeding the word limit :) Please never stop asking questions, and being the positive encouraging person you are, I need it, and I’m certain many others to do!!! xoxo

Okay so here it goes. In short because I want to allow room for God to fill in the blanks. Oh and please PUUULEASE know that these are my personal thoughts and experiences. Not now, nor ever will I even pretend to be someone who has all the answers, or even some of the answers. If you have a different answer to this question, please feel free to share, as my heart is always open to hear what others have experienced, just please do it with love!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think we all find God in different places. I think that many people would tell you to go to a church. Sit through worship, meet other believers, go to the beginner courses that many churches offer, and dive right in. Talk to people, ask them quesitons, be honest about where you are at and what you are looking for. Be open to the fact that there are a million different churches out there and there will proabably be one that suits you better than others. I think that similarly to those who start at a new school, the orientation, is similar. Starting your search for God would probably be easiest in a church setting.

I think others may tell you, since you mentioned it's been a very long time since you had been to church, to open up a bible, start reading, and start praying.

I think some may tell you to ease into it, to start off with a Christian radio station or two, or maybe possibly a short and easy read devotional. To find a comfortable place where you feel you can ease in and find God. And to the contrary others may tell you to dive in head first, and get crazy with it. Change your radio stations, go to church, seek out Christian friends, and get excited to be overtaken by God and His love.

I think all of these answers are right, because I believe they have all describe ways people have found the Lord. In fact to me that is one of the things I love the very most about God, He can reveal Himself to you in the coolest most unique ways, and He will absolutely love on you WHEREVER you are at. There are so many ways to start up a relationship with God, but for me the beauty, and majesty of God is that I don't have to go somewhere or be anything special for Him to envelope me. He's already there, patiently, lovingly waiting there for you, to love on you and walk with you through this crazy life. If you were to ask me, this is what I would say...

Find quiet, or put on music that moves your soul, the kind that almost brings you to tears, get in a place where you can just be. Talk out loud, or talk internally, and just let the flood of all that's on your heart be spoken. Don't try to sound proper, don't pay attention to how silly you may feel, just talk. Tell Him what you fear, what you are looking for, what you need, and that you want to know him more. Ask Him to reveal himself to you, and He will. It may be huge and obvious, or possible more subtle, but either way he will. Take solace in the fact, that this God you want to know more of, He's real, and He already loves you exactly as you are right this second. Don't feel pressured to "feel" an instant reaction, or response, just exercise a little faith that He is listening, and He knows your heart. Before you rush past this sacred soul time, just take a few moments to really think what you want to think, and feel what you feel. I imagine like most people you have journaled before, or possibly poured your heart out to a best friend. To me this conversation with God, it goes a lot like that. Just because you can't see him doesn't mean he's not there, and just as it is when journaling, putting words to what's on your heart requires patience, and the kindness to know that anything you say or feel is accepted and okay.

Then from here I would say do what you feel led to do. Be it go to church, pick up a Christian book, turn on Christian radio (104.9, 101.9, 89.1, 107.9), or seek out Christians you may know.

Someone very wise once told me that a relationship with God is just like any other relationship, in the way of courting and getting to know them. When you first meet someone you take it slow, but are also open and eager to learning about them. You don't go into it with a ton of expectations but more excitement than anything else. Just be patient and kind to yourself knowing that God is love, His ways are perfect, and His timing is perfect.

Last I would tell you that you freakin rock!!! You were so beautifully and wonderfully made, and if that doesn't mean anything to you now you must know if you continue on this journey it absolutely will someday!

At risk of sounding cliché, I have a lot of awesome book suggestions you might like, I happen to have been to a few churches in ID and Spokane that I would be happen to attend with you. I do attend a church out here by my house, but I would love to join you if ever you wanted to try somewhere else out but didn't feel comfortable going alone. I also have friends at many other churches and I could always introduce you if you would like that. Wherever this journey takes you just know I'm here, as a friend, who finds it crucial that you don't feel like you're going at it all alone!

Praying for you my sweet friend! Praying you find your own special and unique way to the Lord and that you find a whole lot of love on the way!

xoxo
 
 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment